Making Jerky Tips
June 25, 2020//
Making Jerky Can be as simple or as complicated as you would like…
- Purchase Ground Round or Extra-lean Beef from your local butcher or store.
- Mix in the appropriate amount of seasoning and cure according to directions in kit.
- Place mixture on parchment paper and press down flat with your hands.
- Place parchment paper on top and roll out with a rolling pin to 1/4″ thick. Place in refrigerator overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and cut 2″ to 2 1/2″ wide strips of meat (leave the paper on!).
- Remove the top layer of paper and place the meat and bottom layer of paper in the dehydrator.
- Turn dehydrator to 105-155 degrees and dry until dry but flexible.
- Purchase a thin piece of Beef such as Top Round, Sirloin tips, Bottom Round or Rump.
- Remove any fat or connecting tissue.
- Slice about 1/4″ thick.
- Weight slices and measure seasoning and cure
- Mix seasoning and cure as instructed on package.
- Lay slices out on parchment paper or butcher paper, sprinkle 1/2 seasoning on one side then flip and sprinkle the other half on the backside.
- Place seasoned slices in a zip-lock bag and hold 1 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Lay jerky slices on parchment paper and place in dehydrator at 150-155 degrees for 3 hours.
- Turn over and remove paper. Continue drying till dry and bendable.
- Acquire required hunting license
- Find the animal
- Slaughter and de-bone
- Follow the above instructions on making Jerky